Mercury will turn retrograde the morning of December 2nd, when there will be twenty-two more shopping day till Christmas. The planet will be in the shadow of retrograde several days before that. Lets make a note of how this affects the public, as this backwards motion brings some or all of the following: difficulties, including transportation, slowing down of the mail system, difficulty finding what you want, having to return incorrect shipped items, tendencies to rethink what one has thought, canceled plans, changing your mind, difficulty with all sorts of mechanical items, especially telephones and computers, incorrect messages or not receiving them, back-up lines at the airport, difficulties in getting somewhere on time as well as difficulties in all kinds of practical matters.
Lets put this all together with the demands of the Christmas and Holiday season. Unless I miss my guess, during the Yuletide season you will be doing some or all of the following: transporting yourself, sending things by mail, trying to decide what you want to buy and for who you want to buy, coming to all sorts of conclusions of what so-and-so wants or needs as a gift, partying, going all sorts of places, dealing with all sorts of practical matters as you prepare for various house gatherings for various types of celebrations. Hanukkah begins on December 13th through December 20th, 2017.
So prepare for some difficulties. Here are some recommendations to help you prepare.
- Remember Murphys Law? If something can go wrong it will, at the worst possible moment. This was coined during one of Mercury Retrograde phases, Im sure. It certainly has been meant not only as a warning but to remind us to keep a good sense of humor. Where would all of our comics be if nothing went wrong. Remember I Love Lucy, and Ralph Cramden and Ed Norton on The Honeymooners?
- Get your cars and truck checked out in November, not December. Purchase all tickets, travel and theater, before December 2nd.
- Leave an extra fifteen minutes early so as to have extra time, also plan extra time between appointments.
- Do all of your Christmas shopping before you get that car checked. (Smile!) In November, if possible.
- Send out all packages and Christmas cards by December 1st.
- Dont get too tied up in thinking or re-thinking the guest list, or the gift list. If you forget someone, dont worry, theyll get over it, at lest they should. Patiently explain to family and friends about Mercury retrograde.
- Remember that intention counts. Even if you cant find what you want, you will find what you need.
- If you are late with the gifts, explain Okay, Im late with my gifts. What do you expect with Mercury retrograde? In ancient Mesopotamia, giving gifts after the holidays, within the twelve days of Christmas, was considered a sign of wisdom and love.
- If you plan to travel long distances, (to meet relatives, for example), remember this: Mercury retrograde generally indicates that everyones a bit harried, hurried, and hassled. It indicates that people doing mechanical work, including work on airplanes, will be harried, hurried, and hassled. This doesnt mean that people wont go to work, or that you should not travel, but it is certainly not the best time to do so. Follow your intuition as whether to fly or not. Expect delays and always bring a book to read and some toys for the children. Once youve done all that, lean back in your easy chair, light up a Cuban cigar, sip your cognac and put your feet up. That will bring things in perspective for you. Perspective is just what you need when Mercury is retrograde. Here is a list of what is called Mercurys False Promises:
We must have lunch real soon
Your luggage is checked through
We promise no delays
Weve got inflation licked
Ill get right back to you
Its just a standard form
Tomorrow without fail
Pleased to meet you
We are never late
Thank you so much
The check is in the mail
You may have won a prize
Your secrets safe with me
Its wrinkle free, wont crumble or peal
This is a real good deal
Strictly by the book
Whats fair is fair
I am not a crook
Well send someone right out
Now this wont hurt a bit
Its finger licking good
Ill be right there
Hes in a meeting now
The coats a perfect fit
Strictly fresh today
Service with a smile
Ill love you darling, till I die
Well keep you name on file
So walk right during theses three weeks (Dec. 2nd to Dec. 22nd ) and be thankful its all over by Christmas. You resolutions for 2018 are still good, but perhaps delayed!
Wishing you a most Happy Holiday Season and a Great New Year.
Originally published in the Sedona Journal of Emergence.